Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Another Lesson Learned

We had a great day yesterday with Wendy & Carl, exploring the harbor and the many different boats that are moored or anchored here.  We made it back safe and sound (this mainly because Gary did NOT let me drive the dinghy, after my blatant lack of ability due to over confidence displayed earlier in the day, i.e. running aground, and doing circles trying to pull her into the swim platform earlier that morning.)  I just can't figure it out. I seem to have the hang of it with two or three great trips and then things fall into" Lucy" mode.  I laughed pretty hard at myself but "The Captain" didn't find my performance quite as humorous, hence I am on Dinghy probation.
Maybe the dinghy has had enough of me too.  This morning after a night of wind and waves slapping at the hull due to a cold front that came through with 30 mph wind gusts , she decided to runaway from home.
The four of us were sitting chatting when the phone rang and it was the Marina Office asking if we lost our dinghy.  Gary said no, it was tied behind the boat, she said "are you sure" and when I ran up on deck, guess what, no dinghy.  This was at 11am, we had checked at 8 and she was there so sometime in the morning she made her escape.  A nearby boat had seen her running off down the river and out to sea so he went and grabbed her. 
Ok, I will take full blame, when the guy brought her back to us, I stood on the deck in shame with my "deck hand in training" sign plastered to my chest, a bottle of wine (for him, not me) and a humble attitude.  I was the one who had tied her up with my "girl knot" as Gary calls it and Carl's eye rolling confirms it, and she decided since I wouldn't listen to "the men" she would teach me a lesson.
Well.....LESSON LEARNED
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

We would love to hear your comments!