Saturday, May 21, 2011

Shrimp & Grits

Charleston is everything I thought it would be.  If you love architecture, old houses, gardens, and Southern food like I do, it is heaven.  There is just too much to see in 2 and a half days.  I think a stop on our way back south will be in order.  The one thing I did not know was that it is called the Holy City because of the churches.  They are magnificent in their simplicity.  The carved wood work and plaster work have been wonderfully preserved but since most are 150-200 years old the upkeep must be astronomical.  They have their own cemeteries on the church grounds with graves dating to the 1700's.  We learned from a docent in St. Phillips Episcopal Church that Charleston now has a school that is teaching the fine crafts of wood and plaster work.  They just had their first graduating class....5 students!

We have walked about 15 miles in the last 3 days.  Most of it in a 10 block radius.  Most of the tours do the 4 block main center but we also did the back streets and alleys...we saw a lot more than only doing a tour but our feet our crying mercy and we are ready to move on.

Yesterday was a gastronomical feast for us....we stopped at Jestine's for lunch,  (had to wait in line, but it was SO worth it) a very small little old time restaurant that all the locals recommended.  I had side dishes of macaroni and cheese, creamy and awesome, collards (yummy) and corn fritters with a pepper relish that were to die for!  Gary had meat loaf and fried okra...which he had to share with me... the meal was fantastic, inexpensive and it was the first time I had had sweet tea that didn't make me gag.  It was called 'Jestine 's Table Wine".

For dinner since it was our last day, we searched out a place that had Shrimp and Grits.  Dorian's mothers day gift to me...and I am sure she will be proud that I tried something new.  Lordy, were they good!  The grits were creamy and unlike any I had had before.  AWESOME!! I even have leftovers for tonight....it was a two-fer.

The Captain is calling...time to cast off the lines, get a pump out and head North again.  I really can't say enough about Charleston.....everyone should do it once.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We would love to hear your comments!