Sunday, August 10, 2014

Annapolis and Baltimore .....you just never know how it will end

This is my story...good and bad.  The good.....I have a yoga habit and I have been desperately trying to stick to it.  The bad....I don't have enough data to be able to support my habit...  OY VEY!!!  It is like, I want to feed my habit but I have to have U Tube to keep me going.  Is that being a UTube/Yoga junkie??  I don't know but balancing that and the blog is walking a very fine line.  I thought I could support it in or near a marina but, not so!  I can't count the times I have been walking around the boat with my tablet 'up in the air' searching for even 2 bars!!!  I guess 'free WiFi' means if you are in the office (when they are open) you MAY  be able to get something.
I was so used to posting a blog every few days in our previous trips, that when I end up with a week I am OMG....I have to give them too much info!  All you people using up my data, QUIT IT!!!

We left Solomon's on a quiet calm morning in the harbor only to find an hour into our trip to Annapolis that it was going to be a wild rocky ride.  I get to steer in rough water because I am the most likely to get sick.  I got lots of exercise let me tell you....


The lighthouse on the Chesapeake just north of Solomons Island

It took over 6,000 miles for these shells to fall over.  Everyone that comes aboard asks about them and y answer always is they have never even moved....well it was only a matter of time I guess..


It was starting to lay down a little when this tug passed us with his barge full of containers (often seen here) I guess they must move them between the Baltimore and Norfolk shipyards.

It ended up being a grueling 7 hour trip, 48 miles with a dismal 3 miles per gallon.  In a car you can do 48 miles in under and hour....such is life aboard.

We are trying to keep to trying new places so we anchored just south of Annapolis in the South River.  Of course the little coves were all taken, so we anchored in the river off of this Mega house. Nice view I guess but it was a rocky night.  It was like being on the St. Clair River on a Sunday afternoon until about 9 pm when it finally quieted down.    


Sunday morning was another cloudy day and we left early to head to Annapolis. The morning started out a wee bit chilly.....waa,waa!




The lighthouses on the Chesapeake are so picturesque!  Even on a not so perfect day.


We never got the rain that the morning threatened heading into Annapolis.  Hopefully I won't jinx anything by saying the heavens have been 'parting' for us.  Most of the rain we thought we were going to get...went over or around us.  LUCKY US!

 Annapolis, Md waterfront with the Naval academy on the right
 The busy Annapolis Harbor

Our arrival at Weem's Creek where the Navy has mooring balls...they are supposedly ok to grab unless there is a hurricane fore casted.  Lots of little boats on private balls but only one other boat on a Navy mooring. Since they say "No Trespassing, property of the US Navy"...i was a little hesitant but we had been here before with no problem along with lots of other boaters.  As luck would have it the next morning a navy patrol came along and told us we could only stay for 24 hours.....evidently tropical storm # whatever was on their radar......  "YES SIR"!!!


So we didn't get to see Annapolis again but we did get lunch at Target.....
(meds for my tooth dictated this trip)

                            And rest and relaxation waiting for the bus back to the boat!!




We left Annapolis much different than we came in...water like glass on our way to Baltimore. I liked this view of the Annapolis bridge that joins the west and east shores of the Chesapeake.


We (I) decided to make sure this trip took us to new places and not just another rewind of previous stops.  Even people who have lived here there entire lives say you can never see every creek and river in a lifetime!  We had not been to Baltimore so it was a "let's do it".


 The first thing you see entering Baltimore from the HIGHLY industrialized river is Fort McHenry.
where during the war of 1812 on September 13 - 14. 1814 the British were successfully defeated from their attack by sea to overtake Baltimore.  At the end of  this battle after seeing that the flag that rose over the fort was the flag of the American Colonies and not the British Flag Francis Scott Key wrote the words to the Star Spangled Banner.


The raising of the 30' by 42' flag a reproduction of the flag that Francis Scott Key saw on the morning of September 14, 1814 that inspired the Star Spangled Banner.  It was HUGE and very impressive to see go up.


The cannons protecting the fort...though the brick wall was not there in 1814.  The fort was also used as the nations largest military hospital during WWI and has seen many upgrades since the original turf barrier.  It was interesting to see the metamorphosis over the years.

Here are a few photos of Baltimore when we came into the harbor.  Boats, boats and BOATS!


Downtown Baltimore from the harbor..........


The Harbor is made up of piers (they were there in 1814 from the maps we saw) that house the attractions of today.  Four ships to tour, the Aquarium (on 2 piers) a lighthouse and the sixth is now a tent for outdoor entertainment. This was the view from our aft deck. In the heart of it.


Walking from our boat on the city dock towards the piers.  (Notice the masted ship to the right of the four men walking .....

I thought I had taken a picture of the ship The US Constellation...circa 1854...the last sail only ship built by the US Navy....there has been  a lot of care taken for it to be in the condition it is today....she is a beauty and the tour was extraordinary...usually you only see a small portion but she was pretty much all open to the public except for a few areas that were under construction.  One thing that really stood out to me was the low ceilings in a lot of areas, even I had to duck. Those guys must have had a lot of knots on their foreheads!

Tie a Knot by the "dinner cruise" boats oft the starboard bow!!  Deluxe dock....

Gary in the let's call it the "war room" of the Constellation...you can see what fine condition she is in.

The captains cabin.....


Then there was the TORSK a WWII Submarine


Does he EVER QUIT!!!

Enough about boats already!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


We found out that there was a concert on Pier 6. that night...John Legend....a big name in today's Jazz/Soul Genre.  He has received 9 Grammy awards and we had a chance to 'hear, not see' him on Pier 5, no charge.  Not Gary's bag but he acquiesced to go out a 8pm after a little prodding.  It was invigorating, lots of people enjoying the night and the music.  

The Lighthouse on Pier 5


Then voila....a Fireworks display to boot!  It wasn't part of John's show but it was cool since we missed the 4th of July fireworks.  It was a very nice night!



OK....so you've made it this far...I know this is a LONG but this is the way our stay in Baltimore ended.................

6:00 am, Jann couldn't sleep, thought OK I'll see the city wake up. watch it come alive..little did I know!
I think It was pretty much the entire Baltimore Fire Rescue Dept in front of Tie A Knot.....They were doing a lot of fishing around in the water and even at that hour with the number of men on the dock in front of us I pretty much knew what they were doing, grappling for a body.  Small town girl I am it was one of those can't watch it, can't not watch it things. Something you see on TV, hope you don't see in real life and when you do you can't not watch.  Well up to the pulling out I pretty much drew the line there.  We later talked to a dock attendant who said "no, it was not a usual incident", they were all pretty shocked.  Evidently it was a bridge jump suicide and the body had travelled down the Patapsco River to end up in front of our boat....go figure..

Not a great way to end a visit surely not a great start to the rescue workers day and sad to think of the misery that would cause someone to end their life this way...........
Baltimore seems to be a lively nice city with lots to do, but unfortunately this will always be part of our memory of Baltimore.



No comments:

Post a Comment

We would love to hear your comments!