Monday, October 13, 2014

Missed Opportunity

We are anchored tonight in Capers Inlet a few miles (an hour at least for us) from Charleston Harbor. We have anchored here before and it is a beautiful spot.  Just a hop off the ICW to the Ocean and a beautiful beach although when we leave tomorrow on a rising tide it may be a little skinny, we'll see.

My regret is I really dropped the ball this time....I decided not to take my camera.  BIG mistake.  I missed some awesome photo opportunities.  I keep hounding the Captain to remind me, I must take the camera, but obviously he can't remember any more than I can.  I thought "been there taken pictures of that" but of  we decided to go to the beach on the northern side of the inlet and it was "I wish I had my camera", about 100 times!!! My daughter, Dorian, says "enjoy the moment, forget the camera" but I think it is a missed opportunity not to record it if you can, I just love pushing that little button.

Capers Island has the only primitive beachfront camping area in the state of South Carolina.  There were 9 students from an outdoors explorers group from a university near Charlotte camping when we got there.  They had paddled a "cata-canoe", picture the "Kon Tiki",  but two canoes with a net in between to hold their supplies and a sail, up the ICW from Isle of Palms . This was primitive camping, bare bones....the outhouse was an 'out-tent'.  Didn't get into specifics on that.
One of the what was I thinking when I decided not to bring the camera!!

This will have to do....

“Bone-yard Beach”      http://nature-tours.com/capers-island

Capers Island Boneyard BeachOne of the most fascinating features of Capers Island is its front beach known as the “bone-yard”. Its name is due to the old tree skeletons and stumps left as a result of erosion and bleached out by the sun. Capers has been eroding an average of 15 feet per year since 1875. Visitors can stroll in and out of this sculpture garden of weathered trees which goes on for about 3 miles. Walking the front beach of Capers gives visitors a feel for what our barrier islands looked like before beachfront houses and condos arrived. Capers “bone-yard beach” is a favorite place for photographers, beach combers, or someone looking to experience a truly amazing natural creation.
It was like a movie set.  You could see how the shoreline had eroded and left tree stumps over 100 ' from the tree line in the surf. Giant trees made into works of art...not driftwood because they had not drifted, just died in the wake of the ocean. If the weather wasn't going to turn "snotty" tomorrow I would go back and take pictures.  Now I have to add on to my "bucket list", it was truly that beautiful. 
All was not lost though because I did get a nice "bounty from the sea", four perfect Whelk Shells and a piece of purple sea grass that were left on the beach by the tide.

Things we have seen in the last 3 days........


Extraordinary displays of Pampas Grass in Myrtle Beach



A painter's dream scape.....


Feral Pigs along the ICW in the Marsh


Pretty Maids All In A Row.......
 
The marsh is now changing into fall colors...instead of vivid green it is taking on a golden hue....



Late tomorrow the weather goes downhill.  The cold front marching across the US will reach us and that means wind and rain.  Our plan is to get across Charleston Harbor early and anchor in one of the many protected creeks south where we can sit it out.  BUT,  that is Plan A....and we all know how that goes :-}

I do have something to keep me busy....

I started a new basket....... thanks Colleen, you always are an inspiration and instigator!






No comments:

Post a Comment

We would love to hear your comments!